About Me

My photo
Check out the adventures of LL.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Culture

Today we talked about Culture. I was so glad we had that discussion today because I've been contemplating what the culture of the United States actually is. Yesterday I signed up to participate in the Culture Jam and I was told that I probably wouldn't be able to perform because what I had prepared wasn't cultural enough. Just being told that I didn't have a culture made me wonder what an American culture is. I think the idea of the importance of the individual is totally American. I feel also that the work ethic and the desire to work to gain happiness is an American ideal. Also, I think that popular culture is something that America has shared with other cultures. You hear of other countries becoming "Americanized" but what does that really mean? For a country that some people seem to think has no culture it sure is a country that others seem to emulate. These were just some thoughts I had during the beginning of the week.

I was eventually allowed to sing in the Culture Jam and it was an amazing experience. The song I sang really rang true with everything I had been feeling and it was great to be involved with all the other cultures surrounding me. I felt an incredible energy from the entire room. It's such a positive group of people!

We've been having our auditions all week for featured soloists, dancers and speakers. It was a completely different style than I'm used to, but it was great for experience. I was actually incredibly nervous during all of them. My face was probably bright red in each room. I think I did my best though. We should know more in the next few days. Until then, I hope you enjoy the video from our conversation on culture. Culture Jam to come!

No comments: