About Me

My photo
Check out the adventures of LL.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Life back home

How quickly 3 years flies by.

Someday soon I will come back to this blog and write out the stories of the places I've been since the end of my student semester. For now, I move on to the time at hand.

I left Up with People in December and have since moved home to North Platte. I'm currently working as a substitute teacher and saving money for the big move in July. I have accepted a graduate assistantship at Cornish College of the Arts in the Residence Life and Housing Department in Seattle, Washington. I'll be working and living there during the day and attending classes at Seattle University in Student Development Administration in the evenings. It's going to be a completely new experience going back to school after 3 years away.

Now for some thoughts on substitute teaching.

1. I wonder if students would act the same way if I was there regular teacher? I doubt it. I think if I were a face they saw daily they would have a higher respect for me. It just seems that no matter how hard I try, I never truly feel like a real teacher. I never feel like I command the classroom. Perhaps the reason why I didn't go to school for education.

2. I would rather treat the students like people than like robots. I think each student has a different way of learning and needs different attention. I want the students to know that I can help them when they have questions and that I've been there and done the same kind of worksheets and homework. What I can't figure out is how to tell them to come to me for help without broadcasting to the class "by the way, I'm really smart. I got all "A's" in high school so I can do this homework with you."

3. Cell phones drive me nuts. I realize they are part of life now, and it's much easier to text than talk to each other, but is it really so important to do it in the middle of my class?

The final bell has rung. Home sweet home is calling my name.

No comments: